Cystic Fibrosis Care BC serves the cystic fibrosis population and its partners in B.C. and the Yukon. We provide provincial leadership to ensure evidence-based, high-quality, accessible and equitable care for patients with cystic fibrosis.
Cystic Fibrosis Care BC is linking cystic fibrosis care across B.C. to make it easier for patients to access high-quality care from specialists across disciplines.
Cystic Fibrosis Care BC is a provincial health improvement network. It provides a multidisciplinary approach to cystic fibrosis care that can help patients stay healthy longer.
In partnership with Cystic Fibrosis Canada and other key collaborators, Cystic Fibrosis Care BC aims to improve health outcomes and optimize the delivery of care that is:
- accessible province wide
Several key factors have contributed to the need for this approach:
- Life expectancy is increasing
- Higher patient volumes across B.C.
- Complexity of care and comorbidities are increasing, requiring frequent access to broader services across the health-care system
- Increasing need for preventative care to avoid or delay deterioration in lung health
- Hospitalizations are increasing as disease severity progresses
- Expensive new therapies aimed at specific gene mutations which require greater cystic fibrosis clinic involvement
- Need for psychosocial support increasing, from newborn to end of life
- Strategic goals
- Improve the health of the cystic fibrosis community
- Reduce the incidence of people experiencing disease through evidence-based clinical prevention strategies
- Enhance primary, community and cystic fibrosis clinic care for patients and families with cystic fibrosis by setting standards and providing additional support
- Ensure specialized cystic fibrosis care is high quality, evidence based, accessible, and equitable across the province