Have you always dreamed of a career specializing in pediatrics, child & youth mental health, perinatal, or oncology nursing? Work and learn with us and apply to be part of the Employed Student Nurse Program at BC Children's Hospital, BC Women's Hospital, or BC Cancer!
PHSA is committed to career pathways and investing in its people. As an Employed Student Nurse working at BC Children's Hospital, BC Women's Hospital, or BC Cancer in specialized pediatric, child and youth mental health, perinatal, or oncology care settings, you will consolidate your nursing skills and gain valuable practice working as a member of an interdisciplinary health care team.
This hands-on experience will prepare you for a career in either pediatric, child and youth mental health, perinatal, or oncology nursing, and you may be able to use this experience as a stepping stone to acquiring a preceptorship at BCCH, BCW, or BC Cancer as part of your fourth year.
Our Employed Student Nurse (ESN) program provides a nursing employment opportunity to work in a clinical setting of up to 350 hours of hands-on experience with pay. These hours will help you consolidate your theory and clinical skills, build on your nursing practice, and participate as a team member. In many cases, you can also apply your earned seniority toward your first RN/RPN job with us.
- Are continually enrolled full-time in a recognized Registered Nursing (or Registered Psychiatric Nursing for Child & Youth Mental Health) program in British Columbia
- Are planning to specialize in pediatrics, child and youth mental health, perinatal, or oncology nursing
- Have successfully completed your second or third year of nursing education toward your degree in nursing
- Have successfully completed your pediatric, mental health, perinatal, or medical/surgical instructor-led rotation
- Are a student member of the BCCNP or are eligible for student membership
- Have certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support; and
- Meet the BC Children's Hospital, BC Women's Hospital, or BC Cancer recruitment screening requirements
1Determine your first choice of program/specialty area
Download and complete the corresponding application form below.
2ESN Clinical Reference form
Download and complete the ESN Clinical Reference form. Please have the form completed by your instructor for your placement.
Submit all the following supporting documents along with your application form:
- Application form
- Cover letter
- Resume (including all clinical placements)
- Medical / Surgical Clinical Evaluation
- Unofficial transcript
- Reference (must include two references - clinical instructor reference and personal / work reference)
- Clinical evaluation form (If you have not completed your clinical placement, please indicate expected completion date in your email. Once your clinical placement is complete, please send your evaluation form to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
4PHSA ESN Application Checklist
Download the PHSA ESN Application Checklist to ensure all documentation is included in your application.
5Submit your application
E-mail your complete application including the application form and supporting documents (in one e-mail) to email@example.com
using the subject line: ESN 2022 - (Last name, First Name - Program)