- Confidential support to individuals and loved ones.
- Recommendations to promote ethical practice in healthcare.
- Education and resources for families, patients and teams.
An ethics consult may be helpful for issues related to:
- Uncertainty or differing opinions about care plans
- Concerns about continuing, stopping or refusing treatment
- Questions about who should make a health-care decision
- Patient privacy/confidentiality
- End-of-life decisions
- Tensions related to values, religion or culture
In an ethics consult, we can:
- facilitate respectful discussions about health care questions and concerns;
- help people think through the values that are most important to them;
- support people to reach decisions that are right for them and their loved ones;
- keep information confidential; and
- support people in talking with their health care teams.