(Best for non-EMR users or duplicate prescriptions)
Note: Duplicate prescriptions need to be filled out on a special duplicate form (paper-based). Currently two types are in use: methadone prescription (Methadose and Metadol-D) and duplicate prescription for other Controlled Prescription Program (CPP) items. The copy of the duplicate can be faxed to the centre to ensure timely dispensing of the medication, however, the original duplicate must be sent to the centre (subsequently sent to the pharmacy).
When the provider doesn’t have access to an EMR and needs the ability to fax a paper-based prescription to a clinical unit/pharmacy fax machine
When the provider has either a personal/work mobile device (iOS) to scan the paper document
Remote ordering of a prescription without using EMR
Remote ordering of duplicate prescriptions
Providers needing to fax paper-based prescriptions
Mobile device (iOS) to scan the paper document using your camera app
- To use SRFax, please contact your clinical program/department lead to request to be added to the corporate SRFax account via your health authority (HA) email. For instructions for clinical programs/department leads on how to set up a corporate SRFax account, click here.
- Write your prescription on your prescription pad.
- Sign the prescription (wet signature).
- Scan the paper prescription using your iOS mobile device. Please click for instructions.
- Attach the scanned prescription document to your HA email and send to the fax machine.
- For your email to the fax machine:
Insert the following:
To: ##########@srfax.com (1+AREA CODE+PHARMACYFAX NUMBER)
Subject: Prescription for PATIENT LAST NAME, FIRST NAME
Body: Your name, contact information and CPSID # /MSP # must be added
*The To, Subject and Body will become the Fax Cover Sheet with a confidentiality disclaimer. The Prescription will become Page 2
7. Once the email has been sent, and a confirmation from SRFax has been received, delete the email with the attached prescription.
8. Retain paper copy of prescription in a secure location until you can take it on site to place in the patient’s paper clinical health record
Note: It may take up to 5-10 minutes for you to receive a confirmation email from SRFax that your fax has been sent and received by the fax machine.
Note: To use SRFax, please contact your clinical program/department lead to request to be added to the corporate SR Fax account via your HA email.