This section contains resources to support clinicians providing gender-affirming care, including guidelines and standards, helpful links for supporting patients to access surgery, primary care tools, and online resources.
- Endocrine Therapy for Transgender Adults in British Columbia: Suggested Guidelines – a document with protocols for the prescribing clinician relating to physical assessment, prescription planning, initiation of endocrine therapy, and ongoing maintenance (VCH, 2015)
- Endocrine Treatment of Gender-Dysphoric/Gender-Incongruent Persons: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline (Endocrine Society, 2017)
- Guidelines and Protocols for Hormone Therapy and Primary Health Care for Trans Clients (Sherbourne Health Centre, 2015)
- Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People (Center of excellence for transgender health, 2016)
- Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People Version 7. (WPATH, 2011). Available for download from WPATH
- For forms and checklists, see Medical Forms
- For information on the central waitlist for upper surgery, see Upper Surgery Central Waitlist
- For assistance in supporting your patient post-operatively, contact our care coordination team
- For information on gender-affirming surgeries, see our Surgery section and review the surgical summary sheets below
- Surgical Summary Sheets - information about transition-related surgeries for discussion between primary care providers and clients (Rainbow Health Ontario)
- Travel Assistance Program (TAP) - support with travel costs for eligible B.C. residents who must travel within province for non-emergency medical specialist services not available in their own community
- Hope Air - a charity that provides free flights for financially disadvantaged Canadians for medically necessary travel
- GRS Montreal - surgical centre in Montreal performing most gender-affirming lower surgeries for BC clients
- Clark, Beth A; Veale, Jaimie F; Greyson, Devon; Saewyc, Elizabeth (2018). Primary care access and forgone care: a survey of transgender adolescents and young adults. Family Practice, 35(3), 302–306
- Ehrensaft, Diane (2017). Gender nonconforming youth: current perspectives. Adolescent Health, Medicine and Therapeutics 2017:8 57–67
- Olson, Johanna; Forbes, Catherine; Belzer, Marvin (2011). Management of the Transgender Adolescent. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. ;165(2):171-176.
- Olson, Johanna and Garofalo, Robert (2014). The Peripubertal Gender-Dysphoric Child: Puberty Suppression and Treatment Paradigms. Pediatric Annals, 43(6), e132–e137.
- Vance Jr, Stanley R.; Ehrensaft, Diane; and Rosenthal, Stephen M. (2014). Psychological and Medical Care of Gender Nonconforming Youth. Pediatrics, 134(6)
For information on trans identity and gender, see our Trans Basics
For information on Trans Care BC education resources and trainings, see our Education