Technology commercialization deals with the transfer of knowledge gained from research activities to the public at large, allowing society to benefit.
Technology commercialization can include developing a product, licensing new techniques or software, or developing research partnerships that allow further study in your specific areas of research.
PHSA's Technology Development Office (TDO) is available to provide strategic advice to any PHSA-affiliated researcher who has questions about intellectual property (IP) and the processes for technology commercialization. Please note that it's important to understand your IP position and secure IP rights
before you publish any research.
PHSA and our programs and hospitals have affiliation agreements with UBC and SFU that specify where researchers should go for services and support for technology commercialization. This depends on their university affiliation and research location.
TDO is the portal for contract review for PHSA and its programs. Contract activities include the review, drafting and negotiating of contracts relating to basic and clinical research.
PHSA Technology Development Office
The TDO is located at BC Cancer. The TDO's management of IP ensures that innovations arising from research are identified, evaluated, protected and leveraged into working solutions that benefit both patients and PHSA.
The TDO provides services to PHSA
researchers and clinicians, including:
- Strategic advice on IP commercialization for all PHSA researchers, clinicians and technologists
- IP, commercialization and contract management services for all BC Cancer researchers
- IP, commercialization and contract management services for all PHSA researchers without an academic appointment
TDO also provides support to help
industry partners and
academic partners work with PHSA researchers and clinicians. Services include:
- Material transfer agreements (MTA)
- Confidential disclosure agreements (CDA)
- Licensing opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities
- Inter-institutional funding transfers and sub-grant agreements
UBC University Industry Liaison Office
University-Industry Liaison Office (UILO) provides IP, commercialization and contract management services for UBC-affiliated researchers at any PHSA program other than BC Cancer. Please contact the UILO directly if you have a UBC appointment and you conduct research at any of the following sites:
- BC Centre for Disease Control
- BC Children's Hospital/ Sunny Hill Health Centre
- BC Emergency Health Services
- BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services
- BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre
- BC Renal
- BC Transplant
Who to contact
If you're a university-affiliated researcher at BC Cancer – or if you're a PHSA researcher not affiliated with a university – your resource centre for all issues related to intellectual property and commercialization is the TDO. The TDO offers a variety of
resources for researchers and clinicians.
University-affiliated researchers at PHSA can contact TDO or their university office: