ID & Name Change

Links to provincial and federal services that you can use to change your name, gender or sex designation on identity documents.

Updating ID Guide

The Updating ID Guide resource can assist with the process of updating personal identification (ID). 

This online tool provides information about how to legally change your name and gender marker on identity documents (ID) issued by the British Columbia (B.C.) provincial and Canadian federal governments. We hope this guide is a helpful tool for people going through the process of changing their name and/or gender marker.

We appreciate our partnership with Pro Bono students Canada, University of Victoria Chapter, who made the development of this resource possible, especially Emmett Rogers, Derek Baker, Nicholas Picard, Lisa Harris, Laura Bullock, and Lauren Sutherland. Special thanks to Adrienne Smith for their review, updates, and support. 

Questions or feedback? Please contact

There are many different steps and organizations to contact for changes.

If you are changing both your name and gender marker at the same time, make sure your documentation for both is processed before ordering a new physical copy of your identification.

The following documents can be changed to indicate an X under gender/sex designation. Some of these documents are currently in the process of transitioning to an X designation and have interim measures in place. Follow links to learn more: 

Provincial Documents

You can change your gender marker to X on your BC provincial ID. Please see Change of Gender Marker section for more information.  

If you want to change documents from other provinces you will need to contact the government agency responsible for issuing these. Some provinces have introduced unspecified gender designations on their documents. 

Federal Documents


Supports and resources that assist with ID changes

B.C. Vital Statistics

For changes to B.C. provincial documents, you can also inquire directly with BC Vital Statistics.

Toll-Free within B.C.: 1-888-876-1633


  • PACE Society will support trans individuals to fill out paperwork for a legal change of name and/or gender maker. At times, they may be able to help pay fees associated with this process. This service is open to all trans people.

  • BYRC Resource Room offers a drop-in that will support youth ages 13-24 with paperwork for a legal change of name and/or gender maker. At times, they may be able to pay fees associated with this process. BYRC also has support workers on staff who can support with a variety of other resources. Time and location: Monday to Friday, 2-7 pm at Broadway Youth Resource Centre, 2455 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC. Phone: 604-709-5720. Email:
  • Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre has lawyers who can assist with ID change and notarization. 

  • QMUNITY's Trans ID Clinic provides notarial, administrative, and emotional support to lower-income folks who require assistance with name and gender marker change processes.  Space will be open for in-person and digital engagement on the 1st Wednesday and 3rd Friday of the month, 4pm to 6pm. Volunteer process navigators and lawyers will be present. 

Youth age 12-24

  • Some Foundry sites in BC are able to support related to ID change is available for youth age 12-24. 

SOURCE: ID & Name Change ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © Provincial Health Services Authority. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2023 Provincial Health Services Authority