Depression & Mental Illness
This workshop was developed to provide employees with a better understanding, ability to identify and support themselves and other employees with depression, low mood and stress. It consists of two parts:
1) Introduction to Mental Health in the Workplace (Online)This online module is available year round on the LearningHub and forms the pre-requisite to the in-person workshop.
This 60 minute module covers the signs and symptoms of depression, low mood and stress, the factors contributing to these, the impact of stigma and also an overview of some of the resources available to support employees.
2) Mental Health in the Workplace Workshop for Employees (In-class)
This is a 1.5 hour in person workshop designed to build on the knowledge you have gained from the eLearning module. Participants learn:
- How mental health affects communication
- The framework for Responding with Respect
- Give you the opportunity to put theory into practice using case studies
- An awareness of the services that are available to PHSA employees to support your mental health
Workshops can be requested by mangers and leaders and by emailing email@example.com for further information.
This workshop was developed to assist leaders, supervisors & managers to better understand, identify and support employees with depression. It consists of two parts:
1) Introduction to Mental Health in the Workplace (Online)
This 60-minute, online module covers the signs and symptoms of stress, low mood, and depression; workplace risk factors; and the impact of stigma.
This online component can be completed at anytime from home or at work. Please register and complete the course via the LearningHub
2) Mental Health in the Workplace: Supporting your Employees Workshop (In-class)
This 2-hour, in-person workshop builds upon the knowledge gained in the online module. Participants learn:
- The factors that contribute to a healthy workplace
- How to recognize signs of low mood and depression
- Techniques to help you start a conversation with colleagues/employees about depression
- Programs and resources available through PHSA that support workplace mental health
If you are aware of a group of supervisors, managers or leaders within your agency who would benefit from this workshop please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you're struggling with depression, anxiety or anohter mental health or substance use condition, the last thing you need is to be overwhelmed when you're looking for help. That's where MindHealthBC comes in. This website makes it easy for you to get the infomration and resources you need to feeling better.
Visit MindHealthBC to get started.
A self-care manual for staff who may be experiencing depression or low mood. This workbook allows individuals to work through activities and scenarios, learning strategies for managing low mood and depression. It focuses on three antidepressant skills: solving problems effectively, realistic thinking, and reactivating your life.
Give yourself a mental health check-up with this confidential, anonymous online self-assessment tool. Using this tool, individuals can periodically "check up" on their mental health to help identify symptoms of depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder as a way of seeking support early on.
This assessment is provided by the Mood Disorders Association of Ontario for all members of the public. There is no cost to use it and reassessments can taken as needed. Get started now
The Health Promotion Video Library provides a curated list of short, informative health and wellness videos. Available 24/7 from any computer, tablet or smartphone.
Access the Mental Health section of the library for videos on depression and anxiety.