We appreciate that many of our team members are working significant amounts of sustained overtime in an effort to manage the response to COVID-19.
For unionized staff, the collective agreement terms and conditions continue to apply.
The information below applies to non-contract employees and managers currently working on COVID-19 and is not applicable to physicians, residents, fellows, and scientists as well as senior leadership and executive leadership teams.
During the COVID-19 extraordinary event, non-contract staff will be able to accrue overtime without it impacting the ability to also earn compensatory time off (CTO).
COVID-19 overtime hours eligible for compensation:
- must be approved in advance
- are worked in excess of forty-five (45) hours per week to a maximum of sixty (60) hours per week
- You must track and input your overtime hours into the Workforce Management System (Workbrain).
- The hours will be available for use as time off for a period of six months; they will be paid out if not used
Non-contract managers are not normally eligible for overtime; however, due to the circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, they may be eligible for extraordinary hours.
Non-contract managers includes non-contract employees who meet these criteria:
- typically in jobs of salary ranges 8 and above
- whose primary responsibilities consist of supervising or directing, or both supervising and directing, human or other resources
- in a leadership capacity
Extraordinary hours eligible for compensation:
- must be approved in advance and worked in excess of forty-five (45) hours per week to a maximum of sixty (60) hours per week
- Must be tracked and approved in the extraordinary hours template on a weekly basis at a minimum of thirty minute increments
- Will be banked and used as paid time off at a later date approved by the employee’s leader or (if unused within a six month period) will be paid out at straight time
This direction is reviewed by the Health Employers Association of BC (HEABC) on a regular basis and may change.
- You must send the completed tracker (Excel) for all those considered to be non-contract managers who report to you to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day Tuesday each week for the week prior. Please note that incomplete templates may delay processing timelines.
Upon receipt, the tracker will be reviewed and submitted to the VP, People Services for approval. Approved overtime requests will be loaded into overtime balances in the Workforce Management System (Workbrain). Banked overtime hours will be available for use as paid time off for a period of six months; they will be paid out at straight time if not used.
- NOTE: Extraordinary hours earned between March 11 and March 23 should be submitted by end of day March 31.