Wouldn't it be neat to see into the future? Earlier this year, hundreds of health-care providers, hospital staff, designers, families and donors had that opportunity as they walked through 3D mock ups of some of the rooms in the new Teck ACC.
Specific rooms featured in the mock ups included:
• Medical/Surgical Inpatient room
• Oncology/ Hematology/Bone Marrow Transplant Inpatient Room
• Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) Patient Room
• Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Patient Room
• Birthing/Labour and Delivery Patient Room (with ante room)
• Emergency Department Patient Treatment Room and Critical Care Room
• General Operating Room (OR) for the Procedures Suites
The mock up rooms were full-scale, complete with doors, windows, lighting, furniture (or items that are standing in for specific furniture or equipment) right down to the location for the electrical sockets. They were developed through an iterative and collaborative process as part of the design development process for the new Teck ACC, with three rounds of detailed user input over nine months. The mock ups allowed clinical users to walk through real spaces, test the designs and see how they would be able to deliver care in the newly-designed spaces.
For example, the life-size or 3D mock ups enable clinical users to evaluate the placement of equipment and key elements in the room such as scrub sinks, family space, or whether the turn radius is adequate for stretchers and patient beds. These details may seem small, but ironing them out during the mock up stage helps to ensure that we are ready on opening day in 2017.