Using ZOOM, you can connect with patients as well as staff, physicians and clinicians across PHC, PHSA, VCH, FHA and the other B.C. health authorities.
People outside the health organizations can attend meetings via a guest link.
- For one-on-one and group virtual visits (including live screen sharing, file sharing, chat during sessions)
- Scheduled consult or on-demand (by sharing a link)
- PHSA staff can use the desktop application installed on your PHSA computers. We recommend using a headset and camera for better audio and video experience.
- Patients can join meetings using most iOS, Windows and Android devices newer than 2012. We recommend smart phone (iOS and Android), tablet (iOS and Android) and Windows PC for patients.
ZOOM is endorsed by the Ministry of Health and PHSA for immediate use under the emergency response due to COVID-19.
- Bandwidth capacity: health authority infrastructure and performance load to support simultaneous sessions and performance (use case dependent)
- Potential to send meeting invite to an uninvited recipient
- Unintended sharing of personal identifiable information
- Lack of meeting invite password encryption
- Policy constraints if user is on external Wi-Fi or public setting
Introduce Virtual Health to patients
Introduce Virtual Health to patients by phone/email/text. Check the technical readiness of your patients. Obtain the patient’s personal email and send an initial email to validate their email address and provide notification of risks (see APPENDIX 1: Client Notification Form
, and APPENDIX 2: sample validation script
Ensure you are using a mobile device and that the Wi-Fi on your device is turned off.
Schedule a Virtual Health Visit
Contact the patient to schedule a visit. Obtain the patient’s personal email. When scheduling a visit, the patient’s email must be added in order for them to receive a meeting invite.
Communicate patient Quick Tips as needed
Patients can join a meeting from their internet browser without needing to download anything. To join, patients simply click the meeting link provided in their email. The link will open their default browser and take them to the meeting.
- Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0 or higher
- Google Chrome 53.0.2785 or higher
- Safari 10.0.602.1.50 or higher
- Firefox 49.0 or higher
Conduct a Virtual Health Visit
Prior to the visit, choose a private location with reliable internet access.
At the time of the appointment, click the link in your email invitation or copy and paste the link to your Chrome browser.
In the unlikely event of technical issues, please switch to a telephone visit with patient. Supporting materials can be sent to patient via email or SMS.
After the visit, email/text the patient experience survey link. Document encounter in patient record as usual.