FaceTime connects you and your patients through audio or video calls from your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to other iOS devices, even a Macintosh computer equipped with a FaceTime camera.
If you and your patient have any of the above Apple devices, you can get started with FaceTime.
You can use FaceTime over Wi-Fi or over cellular on supported iOS or iPadOS devices. You may use PHSA-provided iOS devices or your personal iOS devices.
- For one-on-one and one-to-group Virtual Health Visits
- Ad hoc consults
- Follow ups
- Check ins
- You and your patient need an email address associated with Apple ID or phone number
- Access to Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
- Any Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Macintosh computer
- Turning off all ‘cloud’ functions
- Because the PIA is pending completion by PHSA Privacy Office, under emergency response due to COVID-19, PHSA is collaborating with the Ministry of Health to expedite privacy and security review of virtual health solutions on behalf of all B.C. health authorities
- Unintended sharing of personal identifiable information
- Lack of meeting invite password encryption
- Apple devices required
- Potential to send meeting invite to an uninvited recipient
- Policy constraints if user was on external Wi-Fi or public setting
- No analytics available via the solution
Introduce Virtual Health to patients
Introduce the FaceTime option to patients by phone/email/text. Check the technical readiness of your patient. Obtain the patient’s personal email and send an initial email to validate their email address and provide notification of risks (see APPENDIX 1: Client Notification Form, and APPENDIX 2: sample validation script).
Set up Virtual Health Visit
Ensure patient is comfortable with FaceTime. Contact patient to schedule a visit. Obtain the patient personal email or cell phone number.
When scheduling a visit, patient’s email associated to Apple ID or cell phone number must be added as resources.
Conduct a Virtual Health Visit
Prior to the visit, choose a private location with reliable internet access.
In the unlikely event of technical issues, please switch to a telephone visit with patient. Supporting materials can be sent to patient via email or SMS.
After the visit, email/text the patient experience survey link. Document encounter in patient record as usual.
Log the result in Tracker
OVH will contact you regularly to understand your VH experience so far and provide support as needed.