For patients who wish to travel to the US for surgery, an out-of-country health services funding application must be completed by a qualified specialist. Primary care providers should refer patients to Trans Care BC for further discussion and to arrange out of country applications.
To be eligible for surgery out-of-country, clients must have:
- Completed of all required surgical assessments
- Had a hysterectomy/BSO (if one is required for lower genital reconstruction)
- A plan in place for hair removal (as required by surgeon)
- And be able to travel to the US for surgery (have a valid passport and be able to enter the US)
If a client meets these criteria, they can ask their physician to complete a referral for out-of-country surgery and fax it to Trans Care BC at 604-675-7464.
Once the referral is received, Trans Care BC will:
- Contact the care provider and the client, and put the client on a waitlist
- Coordinate appointment for the client with a trans specialty care physician to complete an out-of-country application for MSP approval.
- Coordinate an appointment for consultation with the client’s selected US-based surgeon.
In order to address the waitlist in an equitable way, clients will be attended to in priority order based on key readiness considerations and date of second completed assessment. Other factors may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
For more information regarding this process, please contact Trans Care BC’s care coordination team at: 1-866-999-1514 or firstname.lastname@example.org