On Monday, November 7, 2016, the Globe & Mail
announced that PHSA, for the fourth consecutive year, has been named one of the Top 100 Employers in Canada.
This recognition is truly a reflection of our employees –their energy, dedication and passion that make the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) a great place to work, learn and study.
PHSA prides itself on its efforts to provide employees with the tools they need to succeed and bring their best to work, every day:
- Over 6,000 in-house clinical and non-clinical training programs, including more than 1,500 courses available on our online education site, LearningHub
- Workplace Health services, for everything from mental health checks, nutrition info, healthy recipes, counselling resources and more
- Unique employee-led programs promoting health and environmental sustainability, such as the Health Promotion Initiatives Fund and Green Initiatives Fund
- Discounts on fitness memberships, cell phone plans and Apple products
- On-site child care, subsidized parking and the option to telecommute where possible to promote work-life balance and flexibility
This year, PHSA focused its Top 100 submission on the importance of the patient and employee experience. To further explore what would enhance each of these, two new advisory groups were created: the patient experience council and the workplace culture council.
Made up of PHSA employees from across the province and representing a variety of programs, services and departments, the workplace council now works with PHSA leadership to look at how PHSA can support staff in finding more joy and meaning in their work. A recent refresh of the organization’s mission, vision and values
was supported by the council, and involved staff from across PHSA in creating statements that are meaningful and relevant to them.
“The distinction as one of Canada’s Top Employers is not about being a perfect company; it’s about building a culture around purpose and value,” says Arden Krystal, vice president of patient and employee experience at PHSA. “We are always looking for ways to improve the patient and employee experience at PHSA. The Top 100 award submission helps us to examine ourselves and our services each year. It’s great to be recognized with this award, but even better when everyone who works at PHSA feels like we are constantly improving and becoming an even better place to work. I’m proud to be part of an organization that focuses on improving the patient experience and continues to assess our role in BC’s health care system. Thank you to each and every one of our employees for your commitment to creating a great place to work.”