We were recently made aware of a report of an unacceptable, racist practice that may be occurring in emergency departments in B.C.
If true, this activity would be evidence of systemic racism and discrimination, underscoring the significant health disparities Indigenous people in our province experience.
We take reports of this nature extremely seriously. To be clear: discriminatory behaviour in any B.C. health care facility is unacceptable and violates our principles, policies and values.
We fully support the provincial investigation Minister Adrian Dix announced today and are committed to working with the Ministry of Health and Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond on this issue.
Indigenous leaders have provided us guidance and support to eradicate racism in B.C.’s health system and we know there is still much work to do. We remain actively engaged with Indigenous partners on immediate and longer-term action plans to combat anti-Indigenous racism. Together, we will make changes to ensure the health care system in B.C. is safe and equitable for all.
Issued jointly on behalf of B.C.’s health authorities:
- Dr. Victoria Lee, president & CEO, Fraser Health
- Susan Brown, president & CEO, Interior Health
- Cathy Ulrich, president & CEO, Northern Health
- Fiona Dalton, president & CEO, Providence Health Care
- Benoit Morin, president & CEO, Provincial Health Services Authority
- Vivian Eliopoulos, interim president & CEO, Vancouver Coastal Health
- Kathy MacNeil, president & CEO, Island Health