Vision, Mission, Values
Vision: Province-wide solutions. Better health.
Mission: As the provincial health authority and academic health sciences organization affiliated with the universities of British Columbia, PHSA aims to improve the health of the population by:
- Delivering quality health services.
- Coordinating and setting standards for selected province-wide specialized services.
- Leading system-wide improvements and creating province-wide partnerships.
- Implementing populations and public health initiatives.
- Advancing research and practically applying it to improve patient care, decision-making and planning.
- Creating a learning culture by promoting the development of health care professionals through a commitment to excellence in education and training.
Values: Our values provide a focus for how we approach our work. They collectively inspire behaviour that creates a dynamic and performance-oriented organization.
- We believe that all of our endeavors should be directed to improving care, access to care, and health outcomes of those who need and use our services across the province.
- We believe that deliberate prevention and promotion initiatives can contribute to the better health of British Columbians.
- We measure our success by the way we deliver on our commitment of better health and by the level of satisfaction and engagement of our patients and their families.
- Our success depends on the contribution and commitment of each and every employee and partner, and this will be achieved through building and supporting an engaged workforce.
- Results matter very much to the patients who require province-wide services, and it matters to us how people are treated by all our agencies and programs.
- Results matter in our ability to conduct research that can be used for practical, evidence-based decision making.
- Results matter in our ability to influence better measurable outcomes for health in BC, and in the delivery of our mandate and commitments found in our agreements with the government.
- Our success requires that we be clinically, environmentally, financially, scientifically and socially accountable.
- We believe it is critically important to ensure that the delivery of any service, business process or research activity balances effectiveness with cost.
- We strive to optimize services and research activities to meet population health and health care needs within available resources.
- We strive to provide value from the patient's perspective which means timely and equitable access to specialty and province-wide services and better health outcomes for all citizens of BC.
Excellence through knowledge
- We are committed to advancing knowledge through research, and ensuring that new knowledge is translated and incorporated into practice, the development of standards, and organization of health services.
- We are committed to ensuring that the challenges and issues we face in our day-to-day practice drive new research that leads to innovation.
- We are a learning organization that incorporates evaluation into all that we do, and encourage everyone to seek and act on the best information and knowledge from all sources.
- Our success requires that we stay current through challenging conventional wisdom in order to provide better health care solutions.
Open to possibilities
- We will have the moral courage to continually challenge and re-examine the status quo.
- We will approach each task with an open mind, objectivity and flexibility. No one has a monopoly on good ideas, or the best way to get a job done.
- Our success requires that we are innovative and creative, seek new ways of doing things, explore new approaches, and are open to learning from others.